Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Professional Development and Web Presence

In my recent conversations with multiple mentors, my personal brand and marketing have been discussed at great length. For the past several months, I have been focusing on my technical development (first honing by Business Analysis skillset, then moving into the Application Development world). While technical development is all well and good, my mentors and I discovered a gap in my personal brand and how others perceive me, both in person and on the web. In order to close that gap, I have developed the following goals for my personal brand (these are by no means in order of importance or "due date"):
  1. Develop a consistent Web Presence:
    1. Have one brand message on all professionally visible websites (LinkedIn, this Blog, Twitter, my own website when it is up and running, my Google Profile, etc).
    2. Keep my personal social network mostly separate from my professional social network (in other words, Facebook will be treated very differently than LinkedIn, Twitter, or my blog)
    3. Own the KristinGalstad.com domain name and attach my personal website to it
    4. Increase key words in my profiles in order to increase web traffic and dominate the Google Search Result when someone types in my name
  2. Develop my own definition of Leadership:
    1. How do I want to be perceived as a Leader?
    2. What Leadership traits in others do I wish to emulate?
    3. Am I someone who instills confidence in others?
    4. Can I "rally the troops" around a common goal?
    5. Do peers look to me for critical thinking and innovation?
    6. Can I facilitate effective decision-making from within or the head of a team?
More to come on this later as I continue to explore my personal brand, but I wanted to get these initial thoughts out in the open. I find I have more success in completing my goals when others are aware of them and hold me accountable.

No comments:

Post a Comment